Monday, April 16, 2007

October 28, 2002

As a college freshman living in the dorms, I was so excited to head out with my fellow freshies to UA's McKale Center to stand in line for the coveted men's basketball tickets. It was 3 AM when I headed out, donuts in one hand, school books in the other. I was genuinely excited for one of my first college experiences! Little did I know what would happen that day. Rioting broke out for basketball tickets, the crowd was dispersed. I watched students collapse in the unruly and overbearing crowd, and I, myself decided that the riotous crowd was not safe. I consulted my parents on the phone and told them of the morning's events, and decided that basketball tickets were not worth all these troubles. A little less than an hour later, news broke of a shooting at the University of Arizona Nursing school. My whole family frequented the hospital and medical schools located at University Medical Center in Tucson, Ariz., so I was shaken up. I was able to contact my mother, father and sister and make sure that everyone was alright. Now, almost five years later, so many people are also calling their families only to realize that they are injured or dead. The news of the shootings at Virginia Tech reminds us just how fragile life is and how we should not take it for granted. Our society is one of violence and you never know which moment could be your last. I always feel that it is important to reach out to the ones that you love and let them know that they are very special.

For more information about UA's shooting click on this link:
http://archives.cnn.com/2002/US/Southwest/10/28/university.shooting/index.html

For up-to-date information on the situation in Virginia please follow this link:
http://www.cnn.com/

1 comment:

CJ said...

you are very special